THE HON JOEL FITZGIBBON MP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR AGRICULTURE, FISHERIES AND FORESTRY
SHADOW MINISTER FOR RURAL AND REGIONAL AUSTRALIA
SPOKESPERSON FOR COUNTRY CAUCUS
MEMBER FOR HUNTER
LABOR AGRICULTURE MINISTERS MEETING
Today I met with Labor State Agriculture Ministers.
Joining me were the Hon. Mark Furner MP (Qld), the Hon. Alannah MacTiernan MLC (W.A.) and the Hon. Jaala Pulford MLC (Vic).
Labor representatives discussed the need to restore a formal COAG process as a means of strengthening and deepening Commonwealth-State cooperation in agriculture policy.
Representatives also agree that:
- Renewing the Intergovernmental Agreement on Biosecurity should be a priority;
- A greater emphasis on natural resource management and climate change action should be a key priority for Commonwealth and State Ministers;
- Greater cooperation on workforce skills and capacity challenges was required;
- A formal productivity agenda should be developed through the COAG process;
- There is a need to maximise cooperation between Government and industry on research, development, innovation and extension;
- A science-based approach to national standards for animal welfare including live animal exports is a matter of urgency; and
- Governments can play a role in making Australian farmers leaders in the adoption of digital technologies.
THURSDAY, 26 APRIL 2018